Tag Archives: Jose Uzcategui

Super Middleweight Contenders Andre Dirrell & Jose Uzcategui Battle for Interim World Title Plus Two-Division World Champion Rances Barthelemy Takes on Former Title Challenger Kiryl Relikh in 140-Pound Title Eliminator

 
Saturday, May 20 From MGM National Harbor in Maryland &
 Live on SHOWTIME
 
Tickets Now on Sale!
 
NATIONAL HARBOR, MD (April 17, 2017) – An exciting night of action will feature super middleweight contenders Andre Dirrell and Jose Uzcategui in a matchup for the Interim IBF Super Middleweight World Championship plus two-division world champion Rances Barthelemy in a WBA 140-pound world title eliminator against Kiryl Relikh on Saturday, May 20 from the recently opened MGM National Harbor in Maryland and live on SHOWTIME.
The SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING telecast is headlined by WBC Featherweight World Champion Gary Russell Jr. making the second defense of his title when he faces top challenger Oscar Escandon.
Top 168-pound contenders Dirrell (25-2, 16 KOs) and Uzcategui (26-1, 22 KOs) are set to meet in a 12-round matchup with the winner in line to face IBF champion James DeGale, who is currently recovering from injuries sustained in his draw against Badou Jack in January on SHOWTIME.
“This fight is a massive step towards my journey to success in 2017,” said Dirrell. “To me, this is my championship fight leading up to the rematch with the current champion, James DeGale. Jose has all of the tools of a champion, so he’s fierce competition for me. But I will show the world that I’m up for the task. This is my year!”
“I’m very excited to be facing a fighter the quality of Andre Dirrell,” said Uzcategui. “These are the types of fights that I’ve wanted and I look forward to coming out victorious. This fight will be another step on the way to my dream of becoming a world champion.”
A world champion at 130 and 135-pounds, Barthelemy (25-0, 13 KOs) and the former world title challenger Relikh (21-1, 19 KOs) will battle in 12 rounds of action for the right to be the mandatory challenger for current WBA Super Lightweight Championship held by unified champion Julius Indongo.
“I’m very excited to be back in the ring, especially on SHOWTIME against a top-ranked contender in Kiryl Relikh,” said Barthelemy. “This victory will get me one step closer to fulfilling my dream of becoming the first Cuban to win world titles in three different weight classes. I’m very motivated and I will not be denied on May 20.”
“I’m thrilled to have this opportunity in a world title eliminator,” said Relikh. “Rances Barthelemy is a good fighter, but my experience at this weight will help me get the victory. I’m ready to do whatever it takes to get this win and eventually wear that world title belt around my waist.”
Tickets for the live event, promoted by TGB Promotions, are priced at $200, $150, $100 and $50, and are now on sale. To purchase tickets go tohttp://mgmnationalharbor.com/.
Representing his hometown of Flint, Michigan, Dirrell looks to take one step closer to a rematch with DeGale after dropping a narrow decision to the current IBF champion inMay 2015. The 33-year-old bounced back from the defeat in his last outing by earning a wide unanimous decision over Blake Caparello last April. After a decorated amateur career that saw him win two U.S. Amateur World Championships in addition to an Olympic bronze medal, Dirrell was unbeaten in his first 18 pro fights before losing a split decision to Carl Frosh in 2009.
Born in Venezuela, Uzcategui now fights out of Baja California, Mexico, where he won two fights last year by knockout. The 26-year-old shot up the rankings in 2015 when he stopped previously unbeaten Julius Jackson in the second round after knocking his opponent down four times. Uzcategui was undefeated in his first 22 pro fights and enters this bout on a four-fight win streak.
A Cuban amateur national champion, 30-year-old Barthelemy has yet to taste defeat since turning pro in 2009. Born in Cuba but now fighting out of Las Vegas, Nev. he won a super featherweight world title in July 2014 by defeating Argenis Mendez in impressive fashion, and followed that up with a second round TKO victory over Angino Perez. After dominating former champion Antonio DeMarco in June, he won a world title in a second division when he impressively defeated Denis Shafikov in December. Most recently, Barthelemy made the lone defense of his lightweight belt with a decision over former champion Mickey Bey last June.
Fighting out of Minsk, Belarus, Relikh returns to the ring after challenging the former champion Burns for the WBA title in October 2016. The 27-year-old was undefeated after turning pro in 2011 leading up to his world title shot. Relikh owns wins over veteran contenders Christian Ariel Lope, Joaquim Carneiro and Lazaro Santos de Jesus.
#          #          #
For more information, follow on Twitter @MrGaryRussellJr, @TGBPromotions, @MGMNatlHarbor and @Swanson_Comm or become a fan on Facebook atwww.Facebook.com/SHOBoxing and www.Facebook.com/MGMNationalHarbor. The event is sponsored by Corona Extra, La Cerveza Mas Fina.

JOSE UZCATEGUI KNOCKS OUT JULIUS JACKSON IN THE SECOND ROUND OF PREMIER BOXING CHAMPIONS ON FS1 AND FOX DEPORTES FROM COWBOYS DANCEHALL IN SAN ANTONIO, TX

 
Argenis Mendez Wins Unanimous Decision Over Miguel Vazquez
 
Click HERE For Photos
Credit: Josh Jordan/PBC
Jackson vs. Uzcategui Highlights Available HERE
Vazquez vs. Mendez Highlights Available HERE
 
SAN ANTONIO (October 6, 2015) – The main event of Premier Boxing Champions on FS1 and FOX Deportes from Cowboys Dancehall in San Antonio, TX saw Jose Uzcategui (24-1, 20 KOs) stop Julius Jackson (19-1, 15 KOs) 45 seconds into the second round. Uzcategui got off to a blistering start, dropping Jackson three times in the first round. Jackson was never able to regain his footing and the fight was stopped before the midway point in the second round.
The opening televised bout featured Argenis Mendez (23-3-1, 12 KOs) scoring a unanimous decision (99-90, 97-92, 95-94) over Miguel Vazquez (35-5, 13 KOs) in a hard fought battle.
The next edition of Toe-To-Toe Tuesdays will take place on October 13 as Gerald Washington (16-0, 11 KOs) takes on Amir Mansour (22-1, 16 KOs) from Little Creek Casino Resort in Shelton, WA.
Here is what tonight’s fighters said about their performances:
JULIUS JACKSON
“It was a pretty fast start and that was about it. I just got hit and I don’t remember much after that.
“We wanted to control the fight with my jab, but he countered well and hurt me. I never recovered after that.
“I never thought about holding. I was busy working.
“I was trying to pop something in between and got caught.”
JOSE UZCATEGUI
“Our plan was to go round by round, but sometimes opportunities arise. As soon as I saw I hurt him I took advantage. Speed was the key tonight.
“We didn’t underestimate him at all, but once we saw our advantage after the start I jumped on him.
“I knew that he was a great athlete, and a good fighter, so I came out here and did what I had to do. I know what it’s like to have a stumble in the course of my career though, so I hope he doesn’t get discouraged by this. But tonight was mine.
“This is everything we’ve been working towards for three months. I want to thank my entire team because they constantly drilled into me that when (Jackson) throws the jab I should immediately shoot the right hand over the top. We knew that the best part of his game was his jab, but we were focused all training camp to throw the right hand and tonight we were able to do so.”
MIGUEL VAZQUEZ
“I wanted to pressure him a little more. Unfortunately things didn’t turn out the way we planned because we didn’t get the win.
“I feel good, but tonight (Mendez) was a little more technical than I was.
“It’s an honor to fight on this card. I want to thank Al Haymon. This was huge opportunity for me and my career.”
ARGENIS MENDEZ
“My plan was to be aggressive, use my jab and break him down every round. That’s what I did.
“I was able to land the bigger, cleaner shots throughout the fight.
“He was holding me a lot and using his head. I was trying to do what I could to deal with it, but they were letting him fight.
“I want a world title fight next. From this point on people are going to get used to seeing 100% out of me.”
# # #
Jackson vs. Uzcategui was promoted by Leija Battah Promotions.
Follow on Twitter @PremierBoxing, @JuliusTheChef1, @LeijaBattahPR, @FS1, @FOXDeportes, @CowboysDanceHal and @Swanson_Comm and become a fan on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/PremierBoxingChampions andwww.facebook.com/foxdeportes. Highlights available at www.youtube.com/premierboxingchampions.

FORMER WORLD CHAMPIONS MIGUEL VAZQUEZ & ARGENIS MENDEZ COLLIDE ON PREMIER BOXING CHAMPIONS TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYS ON FS1 & BOXEO DE CAMPEONES ON FOX DEPORTES TUESDAY, OCTOBER 6 FROM THE DANCEHALL IN SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS

 
Plus! Full Night Of Undercard Action Features Top Texas Talent
 
SAN ANTONIO (October 1, 2015) – Former world champions Miguel “Titere” Vazquez (35-4, 13 KOs) and Argenis Mendez (22-3-1, 12 KOs) will meet in a 10-round lightweight clash on Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYSon FS1 and BOXEO DE CAMPEONES on FOX Deportes on Tuesday, October 6 from The Dancehall in San Antonio, Texas with televised coverage beginning at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.
Tickets for the live event, which is promoted by Leija Battah Promotions, are priced at$282 table of four Seats, $109, $71, $38, and $22 including all fees (w/out fees $260, $100, $65, $35, $20), and are on sale now. To purchase tickets call Leija Battah Promotions at(210) 979-3302.
The October 6 event is headlined by undefeated power-puncher Julius “The Chef” Jackson (19-0, 15 KOs) squaring off against the exciting Jose “Bolivita” Uzcategui(23-1, 19 KOs) in a 12-round super middleweight clash.
Two top prospects fighting out of Texas will headline the undercard as Ryan “Cowboy” Karl (8-0, 6 KOs) takes on Alfonso Olvera (4-1, 2 KOs) in six rounds of welterweight action and Stephen Lovett (13-0, 11 KOs) takes on Dustin Echard (11-1, 8 KOs) in an eight-round light heavyweight affair.
The action continues with 21-year-old Houston-native Justin DeLoach (11-1, 6 KOs) in a six-round super welterweight contest and 25-year-old Rickey Edwards (8-0, 3 KOs) out of Paterson, New Jersey in a six round junior welterweight fight.
Additional fights will pit 27-year-old Tony Adeniran (1-0) out of San Antonio against Baton Rouge’s Jonathan Heard (0-1) in a four-round middleweight bout, 20-year-oldCresencio Ramos (4-0, 3 KOs) of San Antonio faces Cesar Martinez (0-6-3) out of Round Rock, Texas in a four round featherweight contest and 24-year-old James Leija Jr. (1-0), son of San Antonio legend Jesse James Leija, taking on 23-year-old L.D. Herbert (0-4) of Houston in a four round junior welterweight showdown.
Rounding out the action is 28-year-old San Angelo, Texas-born Enrique Neira Jr. (3-0) battling 27-year-old Eddie Tigs of San Antonio in a four round super middleweight contest, 23-year-old San Antonio-native Joseph Rodriguez (9-0, 2 KOs) against 30-year-old Californian Jesus Sandoval (5-7-3, 1 KO) in six rounds of super featherweight action, 26-year-old Daniel Baiz (2-0, 2 KOs) of San Antonio facing 30-year-old Laredo, Texas-born Alberto Espinoza (3-7) in a four round junior middleweight scrap and San Antonio’s Ramon Cardenas (1-0) in a four-round super bantamweight bout againstJamie Hernandez (1-3-2) of Killeen, Texas.
A former world champion at 135-pounds, the 28-year-old Vazquez defended his title eight times during his championship reign. After beating Ji-Hoon Kim for his title, he would go on to defend it against the likes of Denis Shafikov, Mercito Gesta, Leonardo Zappavigna and Ammeth Diaz. Fighting out of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, Vazquez most recently dominated Jerry Belmontes on his way to a victory in March.
Born in the Dominican Republic, but fighting out of Brooklyn, Mendez is coming off of a February stoppage over Daniel Evangelista Jr. The 29-year-old won a world title in 2013 when he knocked out Juan Carlos Salgado in the fourth-round. Mendez also owns victories Martin Honorio, Cassius Baloyi and Anthony Napunyi over a career that dates back to 2006.
An undefeated prospect representing Houston, Karl had an excellent amateur career that ended with him ranked third in the nation in the 141-pound division. The 23-year-old has already won four times in 2015 and most recently stopped Malcolm Terry in early September. He is opposed by the 25-year-old Olvera, who was born in Mexico but fights out of Tucson, Arizona.
An Australian fighting out of the U.S. since 2014, Lovett looks to build on the momentum he has gained in 2015 with three knockout victories so far. The 30-year-old’s last triumph came in July when he stopped Jinner Guerrero in the fourth round. Lovett will battle it out with the 29-year-old Echard out of Washington, West Virginia.
Follow on Twitter @PremierBoxing, @JuliusTheChef1, @LeijaBattahPR, @FS1, @FOXDeportes, @CowboysDanceHal and @Swanson_Comm and become a fan on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/PremierBoxingChampions andwww.facebook.com/foxdeportes. Highlights available at www.youtube.com/premierboxingchampions.

UNDEFEATED POWER-PUNCHER JULIUS JACKSON TAKES ON JOSE UZCATEGUI TUESDAY, OCTOBER 6 FROM SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS ON PREMIER BOXING CHAMPIONS TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYS ON FS1 & FOX DEPORTES 9 P.M. ET/6 P.M. PT

 
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
 
SAN ANTONIO (September 10, 2015) – Undefeated power-puncher Julius “The Chef” Jackson (19-0, 15 KOs) squares off against the exciting Jose “Bolivita” Uzcategui(23-1, 19 KOs) in an 12-round super middleweight clash that headlines Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYS on FS1 and FOX Deportes Tuesday, October 6 from The Dancehall in San Antonio, Texas with televised coverage beginning at9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.
“With my father (former middleweight champion Julian Jackson) being who he is, my dream has always been to reach this level and then surpass this level,” said Jackson. “I’m working extremely hard for this opportunity and I’m ready for my shot.”
“I’m so excited for an opportunity to fight in the U.S. again and I plan on making the most of it,” said Uzcategui. “I will leave everything in the ring and give the fans a great show in San Antonio.”
Tickets for the live event, which is promoted by Leija Battah Promotions, are priced at$282 table of four Seats, $109, $71, $38, and $22 including all fees (w/out fees $260, $100, $65, $35, $20), and are on sale now. To purchase tickets call Leija Battah Promotions at(210) 979-3302.
The son of famous power-puncher Julian “The Hawk” Jackson, the 28-year-old and his brother John were both 2008 Olympians for their native Virgin Islands. As a pro, Jackson fought primarily in the Virgin Islands, Dominican Republic and South America before making his pro debut in December of 2014. He owns victories over Jonathan Nelson, Nicolas Dario Lopez and Crispulo Javier Andino. He enters this fight on a nine-fight knockout streak.
Born in Venezuela, Uzcategui now fights out of Baja California, Mexico. The hard-hitter made a name for himself fighting in Mexico and knocking out seven of his first eight opponents. The 24-year-old will fight in the U.S. for a second time on October 6 and picked up his most recent victory in February by knocking out Daniel Eduardo Yocupicio in the first round.
Follow on Twitter @PremierBoxing, @JuliusTheChef1, @LeijaBattahPR, @FS1, @FOXDeportes, @CowboysDanceHal and @Swanson_Comm and become a fan on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/PremierBoxingChampions.